Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Hey! I'm back!

I know it's been a long time. The last time I posted was a day before I found out my Kquilts Studio flooded due to a water pipe bursting and running for 6 days while we were gone. :(  When I got home, I faced 11 weeks of clean up, redoing all the flooring, drywall, painting. Pretty much all the structure was ruined to the studs. But I thank God for His mercies and blessings through all of this.

My fabric closet only got a little damage and the fabric was spared! Woohoo!  MY room, which is on the top floor of the studio, received NO damage whatsoever!  The flooding stopped about 2 feet in front of the door. Here are a few of the many pictures we took. About broke my heart.

See the pink doors? That leads into my room..and the water stopped just before the doors!

The Front Room where we used to have the cutting and ironing stations. 

Looking down the hall from the Front Room, notice we are down to studs half way back. 

Bathroom down to studs, shower is gone.

This used to be the kitchen. Absolutely nothing was salvageable in here.
This room took the brunt of it all. Cupboards and drywall just fell off. When they
opened the stove, water poured out. Poorly planned kitchen...GONE! And ready for new.

This is looking in the side of the back of the classroom. See my fabric closet (in pink?)
NOT damaged!  God is good!

2 ½ dumpsters left this place. I really did want to spring clean, and boy did I have the chance!  I purged, pitched, cleaned and reorganized. Although it was hard work, and took longer than I ever thought, it's done. And now I have a brand new studio!  

Someone asked me about all my quilts. I asked the contractor when I got home if my quilts were okay. He said the crew stacked all the stuff, including the quilts, on tables in the double car garage. It was packed!  I found the 3 stacks of quilts and could only reach 2 and they both felt dry so I thought all was well.  As I worked my way from the front of the garage to the back, going through each and every thing, I arrived to the stack of quilts about 7 weeks later. Lo and behold, stack 3, which I couldn't reach, was sopping wet.....and moldy. :(  I was not a happy camper.  

I washed them, treated them with stain remover and laid them in the sun to dry. After repeating the process several times, I was able to restore 7 out of 10 quilts.  3 of them weren't so lucky.  One was so bad that I pitched. Not sure what to do with the second one. And #3? It was my Swoon, that was only a year old. The thing now is that it looks very vintage!  It's hanging up as I can't bear to throw it away. I can see the mold spots, but it's not as visible as it used to be. 

Next time I will show you snippets of my new Studio!  It's one of those things that you need to see in person, so I'll try to do my best taking pictures of the AFTER.  I did make major changes and went a whole new way in my color scheme. I know, hard to believe!

I'm finally getting back in the groove of quilting again. I've been working hard on a new schedule for Fall. Several trips and grandkids sports are getting in the way, but I did carve out some class dates!  I'm anxious to see everyone again and get back to quilting!